Edward Maxwell (1867-1923)
Edward Maxwell, Architect, of Montreal
In 1881, at the age of fourteen, he left the High School of Montreal to serve his apprenticeship in Boston with the architectural firm of Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge. He returned to Montreal when he worked on the design for the new offices of the Montreal Board of Trade in 1891. The following year Henry Birks hired him to design his new flagship store on Phillips Square. Edward then went on to design several stations and hotels for the Canadian Pacific Railway as well as undertaking several important domestic commissions. In 1902, he went into partnership with his younger brother William Sutherland Maxwell, who had graduated then just graduated from the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. The following year, he was elected to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts.
Contributed by Mark Meredith on 05/10/2019 and last updated on 05/10/2019.