David Ross (1770-1837)

David Ross K.C., of Montreal; Attorney-General, Seigneur of St. Gilles de Beaurivage

Associated Houses

David Ross House

11 St. Gabriel Street, Montreal

He was born at his father's house near Palace Gate, Quebec City. His father, John Ross (b.c.1737), of Tain in Ross-shire, volunteered as a private with the 78th Fraser Highlanders and fought at the Battle of Quebec in 1759. Settling there, he entered into business and later received a commission as a Captain in the Militia that repelled the American invasion of 1775 led by Richard Montgomery. David pursued a legal career and went to Montreal where in 1803 he married Jane, daughter of Judge Arthur Davidson. His father-in-law died just four years later and Ross took over his legal practice as well as inheriting his Seigneury at St. Gilles de Beaurivage. Not before long, he was appointed a K.C. before taking office as Attorney-General for the Province in 1820.

Ross was appointed a Commissioner of the Lachine Canal and by the mid 1820s he had become the fifth largest private property owner in Montreal. His impressive Neo-classical mansion, the David Ross House, overlooked the Champ de Mars and stood from 1813 until 1952. Ross was a Freemason, an Anglican, and during the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837-38, he was commissioned as a Colonel on organising the first Artillery Corps in Montreal. He and his wife, Jane, were the parents of eleven children of whom four survived to adulthood including: Arthur Ross; Mrs John Samuel McCord; and Mrs Henry Cotton
Contributed by Mark Meredith on 27/06/2020 and last updated on 01/07/2020.