Hyde Park, Dutchess County, New York
Built in 1811, for Nathaniel Pendleton and his wife, Susannah Bard. The Pendletons had purchased the land that year from Susannah's brother, Samuel Bard. They used slave labor to build the house and cultivate the land. After Nathaniel died in 1821, his heirs sold the estate to David Hosack's stepson, Washington Coster. Coster later sold it on to his brother-in-law, William E. Laight. In 1845, Laight sold Placentia to its most famous resident, James Kirke Paulding. It burned down in the 1890s and, "most of the land along the Hudson River reverted to an uncultivated state of bushes and trees".
Contributed by Mark Meredith on 26/01/2020 and last updated on 15/11/2020.
Advocate for America: The Life of James Kirke Paulding (2003), by Ralph M. Aderman & Wayne R. Kime