George J. Gould Mansion
857 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan, New York
This house is best associated with...
George Jay Gould
George J. Gould I, Railroad President, of New York City & Lakewood, New Jersey
The Gould Standard
The Gould's new home was entered via a large bronze door on 67th Street that opened onto a 35-foot high, marble stair hall ornamented with bronze light fittings. The hall concealed a lady's powdering room, a cloakroom, and a small pantry. However, the house was designed on the anti-Victorian principal that it was better to have fewer, larger rooms rather than many, smaller rooms. Therefore, the 5,130-square foot ground floor contained just two, very large receptions rooms separated by 50-feet of hallway: the Dining Room punctuated with statues and finished in swirling Cipollino marble; and, the library.
Ascending the grand marble staircase, it gave way onto another 50-foot long and 35-foot high marble landing, which like downstairs, separated just two reception rooms: the Louis XVI Salon panelled in rich, aged European walnut; and, the white and gray (not gold) Rococo ballroom with panels framing paintings by, "the greatest decorative painter of 18th-century Europe", the Venetian Rococo artist Giovanni Tiepolo.
The next (third) floor contained the Gould's bedroom-suite (with Adam-style boudoir) plus four guest rooms, each with their own dressing room and bathroom. All the bathrooms were floored and lined in marble; the baths and basins were all carved from solid marble; and, the fittings were all plated in gold. The next (fourth) floor up was for the children: there were 7-bedrooms, a private dining room, and a pantry. The fifth (attic) floor was for the staff with 10-servants rooms that included the housekeeper's room, linen room, sewing room, and clothes pressing room. In addition to the staircase, there were two elevators, and in 1911 Trumbauer added a roof garden with a sun room.
Aside from the servant's dining room, male staff bedrooms, a vast wine cellar, trunk and store rooms, the two-story basement contained every modern contrivance then imaginable: built-in refrigerators; an ice plant; a central vacuum system; a central ash depositary connected to every fireplace; electric irons; hot air-blown clothes dryers; and, a 13-foot high by 5-foot wide safe encased in silver which made it entirely fireproof.
The Curse of the Pharaohs?
Edith's weakness was for candy, which did not help curtail her husband's weakness for showgirls. By 1921, George had fathered two children outside of wedlock with his by then long-standing mistress, Guinevere - a chorus girl twenty years his junior. But, Edith wasn't going to give up that easily: she embarked upon a weight loss regime that involved golf, steam baths, massages, and less pleasantly: a tight rubber undergarment to hold in any unwanted bulges. Having been in retreat at their winter home, Georgian Court, in January she launched herself back into society hosting a dance on Fifth Avenue for more than 600-guests. Ten months later, she was dead, having collapsed on the 5th tee at Georgian Court while playing golf - her rubber suit under her clothes - with George.
Six months later, to the horror and anger of Edith's many friends, George had married Guinevere and to avoid the inevitable remonstrations wasted no time in hot-footing it to Europe. Following a visit to King Tutankhamun's newly discovered tomb in Egypt, George fell ill and having been married to Guinevere for barely a year, succumbed in France.
Downsizing à la Vanderbilt
Despite the size and grandeur of the Gould Mansion, for Mrs Alice Vanderbilt, this really was downsizing being just half the size of the houses in which she'd lived for the previous thirty years. She'd placed the colossal Vanderbilt Chateau on the market in 1923. It took two years to sell at which point she was able to repay her son-in-law (Harry Whitney) the $800,000 he'd paid on her behalf and she was in her new home for Christmas, 1925.
Alice died in 1934 when this mansion and The Breakers - the iconic home of the Vanderbilt's in Newport - were inherited by her youngest daughter, Gladys, Countess Szechenyi. By 1951, she barely made use of her Fifth Avenue home and sold it for $400,000 to the Institute of International Education. The institute made an educated decision 11-years later (1962) and sold it to developers for a tidy profit who replaced it and the Thomas Fortune Ryan House next door with a pair of unremarkable 19-story blocks.
You May Also Like...
Be the first to connect to this house. Connect to record your link to this house. or just to show you love it! Connect to George J. Gould Mansion →